Certificate in Teaching IELTS Preparation - 60 Hours
What is IELTS?
IELTS, the International English Language Testing System, is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who need to study or work where English is the language of communication. IELTS is jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), British Council and IDP: IELTS Australia. IELTS conforms to the highest international standards of language assessment. It covers the four language skills: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking Modules.
Who should take IELTS?
Many English language learners need IELTS (International English Language Testing System) in order to pursue academic or non-academic training. IELTS is recognised by universities and employers in many countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. It is also recognised by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies.
This course is designed for those who are presently teaching IELTS preparation classes or who intend to teach such classes in the future. This course is a suitable choice for TESOL graduates, those who want a career change by switching to teaching IELTS preparation.
Introduction to the IELTS
- What is IELTS
- IELTS test format
Teaching Listening Skills
- Listening for specific information
- Identifying detail
- Identifying the main idea
- Seeing beyond the literal meaning
Teaching Speaking Skill
- Part one of the speaking test – the interview (self-introduction)
- Part two of the speaking tests – the long turn (speaking at length).
- Part three of the Speaking test – the discussion
Teaching Reading Comprehension Skill
- Skimming and scanning for specific information and detail
- Identifying main and supporting ideas
- Improving reading skills and summarizing
- Understanding argument
- Identifying opinion/attitude and making inferences
- The difference between general and academic reading
Academic writing skill
- Describing facts, figures and trends
- Summarizing data
- Describing a process
- Planning a Structure
- Introducing topics and main ideas
- Developing an argument
- Writing your answer
- The differences between general and academic writing
The Certificate in Teaching IELTS Preparation is assessed via a combination of teaching practice and written assignments.
In order for you to gain entry into the Certificate in Teaching IELTS Preparation, all applicants should meet the following entry requirement:
- High School Year 12 English or equivalent
- Be competent in Spoken and Written English
- Preferably, students should have a TESOL equivalent qualification.
- Relevant teaching experience would be considered.
- If you do not fall within any of the above categories and think you are qualified for the course, please submit all your qualifications and a letter explaining why you should be considered. Your application will then be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a Certificate in Teaching IELTS Preparation from The TESOL Training Centre.
Online course fee - CAD300.00